What is the easiest way to add variety to a meal? Sauces, seasonings and other condiments. Unfortunately that’s also one of the easiest ways to rack up the calorie count on a meal. This cheese sauce comes in under 50 calories for a 1 ounce serving.
Why It’s Awesome
Most cheese sauces contain a rue with butter and flour, as well as a cream base. I used fat free chicken broth and cornstarch to cut way back on fat. It also takes around 5 minutes to whip up using ingredients that most of us keep around the house. I personally can’t take a ton of dairy at one time, so I like that this is lighter in dairy. If any lactose free folks want to give this a go with all dairy free products, please comment below how that works out!
Low-Fat Cheese Sauce Serving Suggestions
- This is a great way to entice picky kids to eat their veggies. Put a tablespoon or so over broccoli. Roughly chop some cauliflower and toss it in the sauce and now it’s “Mac” and cheese!
- If you guys have any “bro” meals in the fridge, considers mixing all the broccoli, rice and chicken (or whatever bro combo you may be rocking) up in a bowl and top it with cheese sauce to change things up.
- Over noodles, zoodles, or spaghetti squash
- On baked potatoes
- To save some overcooked, or leftover dry chicken breast
- I really like these over my Crockpot Stuffed Mini Peppers and rice as well as my Healthy Nacho Bowl
The delicious possibilities are endless.
Get Cooking and Share the Love
Please tag me in your IG stories or posts if you make this and love it. Also pin it or share it with friends and family. I still hear too often that people don’t have the time or money to eat healthy and delicious, let’s change that! Comment below any variations you make or future recipe suggestions