As we all know, the slow cooker can be a true lifesaver. Finding healthy crockpot recipes can be tricky, as a lot of them involve high calorie condensed soups. These Stuffed Mini Peppers are a variation of a recipe found in my Crockpot Recipe Collection recipe book, and they are fantastic!
Make it “Healthier”
The original recipe really wasn’t all that unhealthy, however I did a little tweaking to lower carbs, increase protein and just make it faster.
- Use more turkey rather than rice and turkey blend
- Add cheese for more flavor
- Use bottled salsa rather than several seasoning and tomato paste to get it prepped in a hurry
The macros listed are for about 2 peppers each. The great thing about this recipe is that you can tailor the serving to suit your needs.
- A healthy appetizer for a party
- A quick, high protein snack
- As a full meal – Simply double the serving and serve over rice or with tortilla chips.
These peppers freeze really well in freezer ziplock bags. Once you have completed steps 1-4 and allowed for the peppers to cool completely, place them in a freezer bag with all air removed and freeze. When you’re ready to cook them, thaw them in the fridge overnight and then cook them in the slow cooker 6-8 hours on low as usual.
Cook and Share the Love
Please feel free to share the love for this recipe on social media and tag me or use #eatwellliftwell. If you have any suggestions or requests, please comment below or find me on Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram
Pin for Later!