I’m whipping up another recipe makeover this week: Chicken Fried Rice. It’s also a super quick recipe to make on those nights when you’re in a pinch to get dinner on the table. 15 minutes and some ready made ingredients is all you will need to get this delicious dish made.
Why It’s Awesome
I’ll be the first to point out, this dish is not made with a ton of fresh ingredients. If you have some extra time to prep fresh veggies and rice, that’s awesome. This recipe came about because I had some chicken thawed and the rest were just ingredients I keep around the house for last minute meals.
- Ready made rice. I use Uncle Bens or VeeTee Brown or Jasmine Rice.
- Frozen Veggies. Always good to have on hand for when fresh vegetables spoil…or you just forget them, like me.
- Egg Whites. I would say 50% of my daily protein intake is courtesy of egg whites, so I have the cartons on hand. In Costco quantities.
- Less oil. 4 total teaspoons of oil in fried rice is CRAZY minimal. If you don’t have avocado oil, olive oil works well too, but the flavor of avocado oil is amazing with anything stir fried.
- Egg Whites. Are you noticing a pattern? Egg whites solve all the problems! There is nothing wrong with the yolks, guys, don’t get me wrong. They are just an extra 50 calories of fat that I didn’t want to add to this dish that already has oil.
- Coconut Aminos. These are pretty easy to find in your health food stores, less so in a regular grocery store. Cutting sodium by about 75% (typically) and calories are lower, but not by much.
Cook and Share the Love
Please tag me in your IG stories or posts if you make this and love it. Also pin it or share it with friends and family to get the word out and let everyone know that healthy and delicious can, in fact, coincide! Comment below any variations you make or future recipe suggestions
Pin For Later